We have regularly communicated over the last few months the deteriorating global shipping situation caused by unprecedented import demand and the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Global shipping lines have recently issued guidance affecting European routes and what to expect, specifically:
- Here is our previous communication spelling out the specific increased costs.
- FCL rates may now incur up to $1250 of additional costs.
- LCL rates, an increase of up to $1 a case, effective for bookings after March 12th 2021
- We are being warned of additional future price rises
- Reefer containers are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain, and the situation is getting much worse in certain countries
- Earlier this week, we were notified that we can no longer book any reefer containers from France for the remainder of March
- The delay at ports and shipping availability has led to cancelled sailings
- One shipping carrier is no longer accepting any European bookings for Q2
- It is predicted that shipping disruptions of this nature will continue through Q2 and into Q3
As a result of these factors, we advise that you allow an additional 4 – 6 weeks for your shipments. We regularly update shipping schedules as additional information becomes available. Please make sure you read our weekly update.
What steps is Elenteny Imports taking?
- We are in regular communication with all shipping companies
- Reefer containers will be prioritized for West Coast routes, where possible
- We will be offering the option to use insulated containers to the East Coast
- We will reach out to confirm this option with you
- We are working on cross country (east to west coast) bulk trucking and possible rail options
- You will have the option to ask your wineries to hold wine, or we can hold wines that have been picked up to wait for reefer availability